During pregnancy, your body is experiencing a lot of new things! Even if this is not your first pregnancy, each pregnancy is unique, and sometimes something happens that makes you wonder, "Is this normal?"
Part of the reason that doula care includes 24/7 text, email, and phone support, is so that you always know that you have someone to call if you have questions. We are trained and familiar with what is normal in pregnancy, and if we notice a red flag, we will always tell you to go ahead and call your OB or midwife, or even sometimes just to go straight in to L&D to be seen. When that happens, we may also talk you through what to possibly expect, and how to prepare.
Below we list a few of the biggest red flags women sometimes encounter during pregnancy, and when it warrants a trip to L&D, or a call in to the office. No matter what, though, we want you to know: if you are concerned, go be seen! That is what your healthcare team is there for, and they are happy to help you, even if it is just to put your mind at ease that everything is Ok and normal. Your instinct is the number one thing to follow.
Go Immediately to the Hospital:
- Vaginal bleeding.
- Feeling or seeing something in the vagina.
- Brown or green fluid leaking from the vagina.
- Severe pain in the abdomen or back.
- Intense, painful contractions, occurring 3-5 mins. apart or less.
- Significant change in the fetal movement pattern.
- Vision changes.
- Severe headache.
- Sudden swelling of the face, feet, or hands.
- Falls or blows to the belly.
- High fever.
- Signs of dehydration.
Call Your Healthcare Provider:
- Experiencing more than 4 contractions in an hour, especially prior to 37 weeks gestation.
- Leaking clear fluid from the vagina.
- Severe itching all over the body.
- Vomiting or diarrhea.
- Pain or burning when urinating.
- Any fever or chills without other symptoms of flu or cold.
- Thoughts of harming yourself or your baby.
- Onset of depression, anxiety, or compulsive tendencies.